Week ending June 26th

I was just getting over a bit of a cold going into Ragnar last week. I ran too hard there, I guess, because my cold turned into a sinus infection. I think it was not sleeping at all and running 10 miles at 3:30am at about a 90% effort.

So, I fell short of my goal (by half) this week. I'd like to call it a "rest week" because I ran so little. But, I definitely don't feel rested. In fact, I'm pretty tired. I cut my long run short on Saturday by about 14 miles.

I like to think of myself as a pretty hard-core-dude. I'm usually the one without the shirt jogging past scout troops 30 miles into their 50-mile backpacking trip. ...This week I was the scout troop:

My brother and I tried to climb the West Slabs of Mt. Olympus on Wednesday. We didn't really do any research beforehand. We knew where the trailhead was and that we were looking for a 1600' 5.5 slab. A climb rated 5.5 is pretty easy, but not that easy. Like your mom could do it, I bet, but probably not your grandma, maybe though, I don't know your grandma.




Okay, so after getting lost for like an hour. We went back down to the car and checked a map on my computer. While we were heading back up the trail, with a climbing rope and gear, this dude with no shirt on passed us, headed for the West Slab. He told us about where to go and continued running up the trail. Less than an hour later, we saw him sliding down the snow-filled couloir we were struggling to kick steps up. When he was in talking distance of us he said "you dudes went up the wrong gulley." Not only had he already free-soloed the slab we were looking for. He did it in running shoes and was coming back down already. He probably did the whole trip in 1:20 or so. I'd like to see your grandma do that.


Mckay and I got lost for a total of 8 hours, walked down a creek in the dark without flashlights, and never even saw the West Slabs. Here's the route we were supposed to take off J. Campbell's blog.

Mon: 1.5
Tues: 8 (Mt Olympus)
Wed: 8
Thurs: 0
Fri: 0
Sat: 12

WEEKLY TOTALS
29.5 miles, 7,000'

 

Copyright © 2011 Gnar Jogging | Powered by Blogger | Template by 54BLOGGER